Subject: Re: [Leica] Legal links
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 21:19:53 -0800

- ------=_NextPart_000_003F_01BE26DE.53793480

Tina,

You have my sympathies, but I don't think there's a lot you can do. A =
website such as yours is open to all comers and a link is merely one =
person's recommendation that others take a look at your site. Since =
they're not using your images in their site they're not infringing on =
your copyrights. If you put your images on a site that is open to all, =
you can't really question why people choose to visit it and view your =
pictures - as distasteful as their reasons might be.

BTW, I am an attorney but this is not an area I have any practical =
experience in. Internet law is still in its infancy and is filled with =
grey areas. I think a good analogy would be that if you published your =
pictures in a book - protected by copyright - you really couldn't stop =
anyone else from recommending that others buy your book, even if it was =
for reasons you didn't agree with. Or, if someone made a movie that they =
thought was good but was really horribly bad, they probably couldn't =
stop a link from a site that promised "bad" movies. (Not in any way to =
suggest that your photographs - which I looked at before writing this =
and like a great deal - have anything qualitatively in common with bad =
movies).

When owners of websites start to say that it's okay for people to visit =
their site for some reasons but not for others, the web ceases to be an =
open environment.

You could, of course, post some disclaimer or cautionary message on your =
site.=20

Bryan=20