Subject: [Leica] Fuji Prices, Kodak, AGFA
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:54:26 -0400

Eric:

I think Fuji's pricing is very different about the world.  For example, the
cheapest E6 film in Canada is AGFA RSX100 at $63 ($40 USD)Canadian a  100
foot roll.  Velvia and E100s on the other hand are about $130 ($85
USD)Canadian a roll.  Both the Kodak and Fuji films are better than the
AGFA, but certainly not twice as good.  I have shot quite a bit of the RSX
100 and find it works well for sports and general photgraphy.  It has a bit
more grain and less sharp than the competition, but for a lot of subjects
it does fine.  I used it for the NCAA basketball shots on my site and it
worked great.

As for Kodachrome, the K200 is still awesome and plenty saturated.  I also
like its grain pattern.  I suspect with the development of new K labs,
Kodak will introduce a new Kodachrome film.  I would not be surprised if it
is introduced before the next Photkina, but at the trade show that falls on
the non Photokina years.

As for Velvia, I have used it a few times and for certain subjects it is
awesome.  I used it to photograph some signs for a sign company and they
were amazed with how sharp it was and how accurate the colour was to the
original signs.  Signs are saturated and so is the film.  I have even
ordered a 100 foot roll of it to uses for bird pictures.  Here I want the
sharpness and the saturated colors.  My response to why I don't use it for
other things is "Why use a high contrast and saturated film with high
contrast and saturated lenses that the Leica has?".  Save the Velvia for
the Nikon lenses ;-)

Regards,

Robert Stevens

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/ncaa.htm