Subject: [Leica] Re: EverColor Luminage
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:48:28 -0800

Bill Nordstrom is the originator of Evercolor. He was located in Eldorado
Hills (near Sacramento) CA. Photographic Arts, Inc. (John Wawrzonek) and
Evercolor merged, and moved the operation to the east coast (Worcester,
MA), including Bill ( http://www.evercolor.com ). At some point, Bill left
Evercolor and founded Laser Light Photographics in Aptos, CA, (40 miles
from here - Silicon Valley) and uses a LaserJet 5000, (by Cymbolic
Sciences, Inc.,  http://www.colourconcepts.com/lightjet.htm ) There is a
lot of difference between the original Evercolor process and the LaserJet
process. The original Evercolor process, besides being devastatingly
expensive, produced full size separation films (a 20x24 print requires
20x24 film). These films (CMYK films) were then contact printed via a
pigment transfer process to produce the very very archival and super sharp
Evercolor print. It's more of a printing process than a photographic
process. The LaserJet 5000 process prints on photographic paper using
lasers. ZBE has a new machine to compete with the LaserJet, called the
Chromira ( http://www.zbe.com/chromira.htm#open ). It uses leds rather than
a laser. The output is stunning.

All of these processes start with a drum scan.

Jim