Subject: Re: [Leica] Table-top tripod
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:40:49 -0600

Roger L. Bunting wrote:
> >Looking for a light weight, table-top tripod that is . . .

Roger -

In addition to earlier adivce, be aware that Minolta once made a very
nice table tripod that was similar to the Leitz in design but of course
much less expensive.  Mine is rock solid holding an M6 with 135/2.8
Elmarit - the one with goggles, which I think is the heaviest M lens -
mounted either horizontally or vertically.  (As with any small footprint
tripod you have to be sensitive to center of gravity, but as long as you
keep the camera near the longest leg you shouldn't have any problem.)
The top of the ball is about 7.5 inches from the table top.  I don't
know if they're still made, but if you find one used take a good look at
it.

BTW, I've had several of my table tripods for more than 20 years, and
don't think I've used the good ones more than twice in that time.  The
one I use all the time is the tiny plastic cheapo with the velcro strap
that lets me attach it, with its primitive "ball head," to all kinds of
things (like chair backs and tree limbs), although the thing isn't
strong enough for much beyond the weight of a Rollei 35, at max.

Cheers,
Kip Babington