Subject: Re: [Leica] 100% Customs Duty on Leica?
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 03:03:00 -0600

Bill Christensen wrote:

> Holiday Greetings!
>
> . . .This morning, the newspaper reported that the Clinton
> administration may invoke Section 301 of the U.S. trade law due to a dispute
> over banana imports.  The threatened punitive action would impose 100%
> tariffs on hundreds of millions of dollars in European imports.  Simply put,
> the price would double. . . .  It is not known if this will affect our beloved
> Leicas.

I heard this news report on the radio the other day, and wondered if it
would affect photo products.  The radio reported a number of categories
of goods that might be affected, but as I recall they sounded like
agricultural and perhaps pharmaceutical or cosmetic products.  Of course
this could just have been a selected list of stuff, but I don't remember
mention being made of what I would call "hard" goods.  FWIW.

Cheers,
Kip