Subject: RE: [Leica] Luggers are dangerous
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:18:00 -0500

> Nathan:
>
> If you really NEED the Noctilux for low-light fine.  Or like many, if you
> just want to say you own one that's fine too!  But if your photography is
> generally done using F4 through F11, you're wasting your money.

Wait a minute here. I'm not putting down the Noctilux in any way, but
shouldn't one say that if one's photographic needs are limited to apertures
of f 1.4 through f 16, one "might as
> well save the difference in $ and put it toward your next lens of a
> different focal length."

After all, glow aside, what the Noctilux offers, at a penalty of loss of
sharpness, is that phenomenal extra stop beyond the Summilux. If you rarely
shoot at 1.4, and therefore would virtually never shoot at f1, go for a less
expensive, sharper lens.