Subject: [Leica] What Apertures?
From: Jeffrey Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:10:08 -0500

Good question.  I for one seem to shoot at all available apertures.  It
depends on the effect I want and the light available.  I would love to have
a noctilux and have the ability to shoot at f/1.0 when necessary, but I
don't.  However,  I would also like to have 50/0.1 and a 90 that stops down
to f/64.  Generally, I am limited to between 2 or 2.8 and 16, all of which
have their uses on the various lenses I use.  Depth of field can be used a
lot more creatively than merely to decide between "a lot" and "not much."
By the same token, sometimes I want a slow shutter speed to express a moving
object.  These and many other matters run through my mind- usually through
my sub-conscious- as I work.

It all depends on the picture I want to make; as we all know, its a pretty
complex simultaneous equation with numerous variables which we each solve in
our own way.