Subject: RE: [Leica] Elmar-M 2.8/50
From: "Richard Clompus" <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:50:12 -0500

Phillip asked:  Does anybody have any experience shooting with the Elmar-M
2.8/50
collapsible?

I have the newest design 50/2.8 Elmar and have photographed with it for the
past year.  I have the chrome version mounted on a black M6.  The chrome
version is definitely heavier than the black version due to brass used
rather than aluminum in the lens tube.  The screw-on lens hood is
recommended not only to cut glare but also to help you grab onto the front
of the lens when pulling it out and locking it into place.  The newer
mechanical design permits you to change the aperture setting without
changing the focus of the lens.

Images from this lens are very good.  No complaints in this department.  I
have all of the current 50mm M lenses.  They are all good performers in
their own way.  I sometimes prefer the Summilux or Noctilux over the Elmar
when things get dark.  Interestingly, the collapsible Elmar is almost the
same size as the 50mm Summicron.  You really don't save that much space or
weight with the Elmar lens.  It is a neat lens and it is certainly fun to
use.  Brings back thoughts of how Leica performed 50 years ago.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA