Subject: Re: [Leica] M5
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:00:23 -0800

B.D. Colen wrote:

>Is the M5 now pretty much universally recognized as a good camera?
>Is it as reliable as the M4?
>How accurate is the spot meter?
>Would it make a good second body with an M6?>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi B.D.

1/ >Is the M5 now pretty much universally recognized as a good camera?>>>>>

From my own experience with them I would have to say yes. Not only that but
it seems they command a price beyond reality of when they were new.

2/ Is it as reliable as the M4?>>>>>>>

I think so, I never had any problems and I worked the daylights out of mine.

3/ How accurate is the spot meter?>>>>>>>

It was good for me as i alwyas hated screwing around with a hand meter and
the built in meter was one of the best things that happened for me as far
as consistantly correct exposures in allkinds of existing light.

4/ <<>Would it make a good second body with an M6?>>>

Sure. the only thing that might cause some concern is the different body
shapes in your hands. Much like trying to use an M4 and an M6, even though
the bodies in this case are the same, it's not having meters in both
cameras and if you are accoustomed to using the onboard meter M6, then use
the "no meter" body it becaomes a pain. But certainly something that could
be overcome.

I would think if you can get an M5 for a very good price I'd go for it. If
you don't like it you can always sell it! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant