Subject: Re: [Leica] Shipping to Greece question
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 21:42:45 +0100

Jim,

Speaking from a wealth of experience...DO NOT use UPS or FedEx or any of the other
express services. They will not only make sure that Alexander pays Greek customs
duty and VAT (the latter on the sum of lens cost+customs duty+shipping charges)
but will also likely charge him a hefty fee for handling these formalities ($50 or
more). The only viable option is to send it via regular U.S. mail AND to
understate the value of the item on the little green customs form you fill out at
the post office AND/OR to check the box marked "GIFT" on that form. Then, and only
then, does Alexander have a chance of not being ripped off by Greek customs and
VAT authorities.

Also, if I were you I would ask to be paid in USD so that the burden of the
exchange fees and any exchange rate fluctuations is on the buyer. But that is of
course between you and Alexander.

Nathan

Jim Brick wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Everyone (including me) must have the Christmas spirit. All of the lenses
> that I advertised are basically sold. Basically, because I give a ten day
> return privilege... but I don't expect any to come back.
>
> I have a question. Alexander, in Greece, is interested in my 24/2.8-R. His
> question is:
>

> >Jim,
> >
> >I am interested in this lens. I live in Greece,
> >2 questions for you:
> >
> >1) Do you know If I'll have to pay taxes as it is comming from a non european
> >country?
> >2) How will I pay you. what method of payment do you accept?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >

> I have no problem shipping this lens to Alexander. FedEx is great. I can
> accept Greek money as there is an AmEx exchange office just two miles from
> my house.
>
> But what about duty and taxes? Can anyone answer Alexander's question?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

- --
Nathan Wajsman