Subject: Re: [Leica] Is digital photography for real?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 1998 14:32:58 +0100

Alex,

After thinking for a couple of days, my reply to your post is something like this:
my answer to your question at the end is that the result is what matters, not the
brand or the technologies used. Of course, some brands and some technologies may
make it easier or harder to get a particular result, but that is immaterial.

In your discussion below you create a false dichotomy between the digital and
traditional darkroom. I am not sure that the difference is so great. In principle,
there are just as many equipment-related variables in the traditional darkroom that
can affect the final print: the quality of your enlarger lens, how well you have
aligned the enlarger, is the darkroom isolated from vibrations if you live in a
city etc. Many of the manipulations I do in Photoshop are exact electronic replicas
of things done in the darkroom: burning and dodging, contrast adjustments, exposure
adjustments, colour filtration. So, if you really want to study the pure image as
formed by the Leica lens, your only option is to look at the negatives and slides
on a lightboard with a loupe. But even then "pollutants" come in: how good is your
loupe, was the film processed correctly and so on.

In conclusion: equipment matters, but only insofar as it results in images that you
wanted. The other day I was photographing my 4-year old daughter and her classmates
at school, using my newly acquired Noctilux at f1.0 and 100-speed slide film. I was
able to get several good hand-held shots. These shots would not have been possible
with any other lens, unless I used a faster film and/or flash. In this case then,
equipment certainly mattered!

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman