Subject: Re: [Leica] M and R "standard" lens
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:46:43 +0100

Eric Welch wrote:
> ....<SNIP>....
> So my f/2 lens actually means better available light pictures
> than pictures with flash with ugly shadows. That is, except in one gym that
> has a low white ceiling that flash can be bounced off of.
> ...<SNIP>...
> Fast apertures and available light is becoming a lost art among
> photojournalists because they've been wooed to these fast, but not so fast,
> zoom lenses. I see a major advantage for the long end. But for wide angle
> lenses, I'd prefer to have a 35 1.4 and a 24 f/2 (I can dream, can't I?)
> lens.

That's true, and I find that those 20-35mm (or 17-35) zoom pictures with
systematic fill-in flash are becoming very boring to look at. They were
spectacular and 'new' 5 years ago, now they are simply a gimmick. And an
easy way to even the contrast for fast scanning and reduced corrections.

> Those faster wide angles are available with Nikon if you're talking
> manual focus. Forget Canon, except for the new 35 1.4 aspherical.

Do not forget the Canon EF 24mm f1.4 and the Nikkor AF 28mm f1.4...

Alan.