Subject: Re: [Leica] M and R "standard" lens
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:52:30 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> Forget Canon, except for the new 35 1.4 aspherical. This is
> another area Leica could have a major advantage. If they'd bring out 28 and
> 24 Summicrons. The 24, I'm sure would be too big physically on an M, so
> it'd have to be an R lens. And that is the focal length that most needs
> replacing in the R line. But 28 Summicrons on the R and M would be a major
> asset for photojournalists over a wide zoom that's a stop slower.

Naw, go for the Lux.  My limited experience with the Nikon 28 1.4 made
me want one despite it's lack of contrast and its love of flare (even in
flat light it feels like flare).  It is wonderful to have the speed,
especially when DOF is not such an issue.  And doing Lux versions for
the M would be much smaller than R versions and much more sensible.  Lux
and Elmarit make sense as two models offered,both for use and for cost.

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego