Subject: Re: [Leica] 280f4 APO telyt and macro adapter
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 22:08:15 -0800

MC Lau wrote:

>I was tempted to try the 280f4 APO lens with the macro adapter but the
>instruction manual that came with the lens advised against the use of
>this combination.  Does anyone know why?  Since the adapter is
>essentially a mere tube without glass elements, will the image suffer?>>>>>>

Hi MC,

I don't think it's the image they are referring to it's probably the
focusing ability, although I don't see why that should make any difference.

leica gives the same advice in using the macro adapter with the 70-180, but
in my usual way of disobeying what they say, I just did it! I couldn't see
any reason why it wouldn't work. As you say, it's only an empty metal
barrel.

Guess what? It worked fine!  Although you have to physically do a bit of
moving back and forth of the whole camera/tripod for focusing as focal
lengths are changed. Yep it's a bit more work but as far as image quality,
it was fine.

It's the same thing you will be advised by Leica not to stack the 1.4 and
2X extenders on the same lens, I do it all the time and make an 800mm f8.0
out of my 280mm 2.8. :) And hand holdable!  They are always looking at test
bench results rather than what you can do with the gear to get "acceptable
images" that capture the moment.

Sure you may not have the standard Leica test bench quality, but you'll
have an image nobody else has, unless they're using an 800! :) There are
times when the frame is far more important than looking squeaky clean Leica
sharp.:)

Besides even wide open on the 280 2.8 with both extenders, there is very
little drop off on the corners and the main body of the frame is still as
sharp as anyone will need, unless they are looking at ant's hairs at 100
yards! :)

If I were you I'd just go ahead and lock the macro adapter on the 280
carefully and give it a whirl. My caution would be, "don't force anything!"
Although I don't see why there would be any reason to force it as the macro
adapter fits on every lens I have from the 15mm to the 400mm.

And if you want to see "wild macro images" put it on the 15mm! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant