Subject: Re: [Leica] winning b/w combination
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 15:22:58 -0600

>Yes, I agree with you about TMax.  I just don't like the "clumps" of grain and
>the contrast.  Of course it could be me but I don't think so.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's only bad in contrast and
grain if not processed properly. For people used to processing more
forgiving films, it can be a bear. I had problems with it when overexposed,
or overdeveloped. When processed and exposed properly, only Delta 100 could
compete for grain with 100 OR 400 TMax films.

Don't believe me. Just wait for John Sexton's next book coming out about
power stations. Some of those pictures prove TMax can handle a massive
amount of contrast and give beautiful highlights and shadows. It's all in
the processing.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients
to plant vines. "
- - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)