Subject: Re: [Leica] winning b/w combination
From: "JeffS" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 20:32:15 -0700

Rodinal is certainly a handy developer to use: A tiny 125 ml bottle of
concentrate produces over 6 liters of working solution! For now, however, I
am using Xtol and Tmax (TMX and TMY) exclusively, hoping to learn them
really well before introducing more variables. Rodinal oxidizes quickly;
Xtol stores very well. In either case, I only mix the working solution
immediately before use. I store chemicals in 1 gallon "Air Evac" plastic
bottles, aside from the Xtol, which needs a 5 liter container.
Unfortunately, the one supplied by Jobo has no special provisions for
squeezing out air, but then, Xtol doesn't seem terribly fussy in this
regard. I've also recently discovered collapseable Nalgene bottles in 48-
and 96-ounce sizes. As needed, these larger containers are used to replenish
the 600 ml containers provided with my Jobo processor. Chemicals from these
small bottles may be reused, but are never returned to the larger
containers. In a pinch, 1- and 2-liter soda bottles work well too.

With your 2-reel, 470 ml tank, you can use Xtol either full strength or in a
1:1 dilution.

Jeff Segawa
See my photography online at
http://www.netone.com/~segawa