Subject: Re: [Leica] winning b/w combination
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 08:26:23 -0600

>Sorry, I just don't like Tmax film and I did give it a honest run.

Give it a test with Press Maxx developer. Or TMax developer when you push
it. Amazing imagine. But as I said, it's very sensitive to processing
variations. I always used it with 30 sec. less development than Kodak
advises, and found it worked beautifully for me. And drop it one more
minute to pull to 200. It used to blow away the pictures taken with Tri-X
not only for grain but for gorgeous tones when shot in extremely high
contrast situations. Football game at high noon for example. Tri-X shot at
400 and you didn't see anything under the helmets. With my pictures, you
could see their eyelashes.

Of course, I was using a 280 2.8 Apo Telyt. (First version). :-) But when I
would tell my fellow journalism students that's why my pictures were so
much better than theirs, there was a collective groan. (Then we'd all laugh).

Truthfully, if Delta works for you, go for it. I did fine it finder grained
than TMax 100, and sharper too. But it doesn't push worth diddly. But then,
who pushes 100 film on purpose? :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"God gives us our relatives. Thank God we can choose
our friends." - Oscar Wilde.