Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG SHARPNESS
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 15:12:04 -0800

I believe, as a group, Leica photographers know what the term "tack sharp"
means. We all know that it's varied, depending upon taking conditions and
who the taker is. But it is still meaningful. It means that the person
reporting "tack sharp" indeed thinks highly of the lens. Other terms like
edge falloff, center sharpness, are also meaningful. However, if someone
says "I just photographed an ANSI chart and got 80 lp/mm at f/5.6..." it's
pretty meaningless. None of us go out and photograph lens charts. Plaid
underwear maybe, but no lens charts. We are interested in "fine detail" as
defined by Erwin, but we also know that unless we use a carbon tripod,
fluid head, a late lens design at f/5.6, Kodachrome 25, no filter, etc...
the "fine detail" will escape us. But that's OK. We know how to get it when
we need it. So wipe your lens on your shorts, and go out and photograph.

Jim