Subject: [Leica] RE: The 3D Efect
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 16:10:34 -0800

The "rangefinder" itself has nothing to do with how a resulting photograph
looks. To prove it, take a 35 or 50 Summicron, in both R and M, take the
same photograph with both the R and M. Focus on the same spot, use the same
film and exposure. They will look identical. When all is said and done, the
camera and it's focusing device is merely a light proof box with film at
one end, and a lens at the other. And a shutter somewhere to allow a
quantum of light to hit the film. Neither the rangefinder nor the focusing
screen have anything to do with the resulting photograph... UNLESS, you are
incapable of focusing with one, or both.

The 3D effect talked about here on the LUG is what most Leica users
consider to be an important "look" and "feel" of the actual photograph,
which manifests itself via the Leica lens formula. The Summicrons being
very famous for this "effect." The 50 Noctilux and 75 Summilux are other
notable examples. It is linked visually (perhaps spiritually) with the
Japanese vision called Bokeh. Or "Leica Glow." All of this stuff, for the
most part, is in the eye of the beholder. Subtleties do exist. Lens designs
can be exploited to produce this effect.

The three points with a rangefinder, are the two mirrors, and the distant
point where the two mirror images coincide. Which is the point of focus.

Rangefinders basically give you, the human, a visual method of setting the
lens focus. Or calculating the angle for the next mortar round.
Rangefinders don't take pictures.

Jim