Subject: Re: [Leica] digital photography - a BIG frustration
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 10:21:12 -0400

ALex:

It is all in the scanner.  Unless you have the top of the line Nikon
LS-2000, you will loose a lot of shadow detail in a scan.  Even on the
Nikon you loose it.  I use a Canon scanner and learned it is not worth even
atempting to scan those types of slides like you have on your web page.  If
a slide is even slightly underexposed or dark, it seems to be to dense for
scanning.

Regards,

Robert

At 11:32 AM 12/29/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello dear LUGgers,
>
>can someone tell me what is the purpose of using the best lenses, waking
up at odd hours, standing in the rain...etc... to get that super picture,
when at the end, if it is to be published digitaly (i.e. web) the results
are mediocre at best?

>I have tried to scan some of my slides for countless hours using PS5 and
tried all kinds of "tricks" but the results can never capture the original
sharpness and contrast. And the brightness? Well forget about that, not
even photoshop's brightness option can save you.