Subject: [Leica] new non-leica M-mount rangefinders?
From: Rolf Hanson <rolf@cortex.med.cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:02:11 -0500 (EST)

I've been contemplating a Leica M6 +35mm lens for about a year.
Currently I'm using a Nikon SLR outfit and a Canonet gIII q-17
rangefinder. 90% of my photos could be taken with a 35/1.4 lens
and I really prefer the silence of a rangefinder for indoor shooting
of musicians. I am researcher and a part-time student so the $$$
outlay for the M6 is a big chunk of my income. I have been
contemplating a CL as a lower cost alternative but have read that
they are difficult (impossible?) to focus with fast lenses.

Recently I have read
assorted rumors that companies like Ricoh, Konica, and Cosina have
plans to introduce rangefinders compatible with Leica M lenses.
I am not interested in the collecting aspect of Leica gear, so a
less-expensive modern body seems like something to wait around for.
I've noticed that there is someone in Japan producing a new
screw-mount rangefinder:
http://plaza10.mbn.or.jp/~yasuhara/index-e.html...however, details
are scant and I'm more interested in the M lenses than the screwmounts.

Is there any truth to the rumor that these companies are producing
M-mount bodies? Does anyone know of a place where I could get more
information about this?