Subject: Re: [Leica] Question on SUMMILUX-R f/1.4/35mm
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:34:29 -0700

tckjr@ziplink.net wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I recently purchased a new R8 (My first Leica...Yippeee!) with all the
> goodies.  However, the SUMMILUX-R f/1.4/35mm that I ordered has been
> delayed until the third week in January.  The dealer has a new
> SUMMICRON-R f/2/35mm,  SUMMICRON-R f/2/50mm, SUMMILUX-R f/1.4/50mm, and
> a VARIO-ELMARIT-R ASPH f/2.8/35-70mm in stock.
>
> Are there any significant performance gains/losses, benefits, or
> drawbacks between the SUMMILUX-R f/1.4/35mm and the SUMMICRON-R
> f/2/35mm?  The extra stop of the SUMMILUX-R f/1.4/35mm would be more
> beneficial since the majority of my shots are taken indoors using only
> available light.  Although, I must admit that the VARIO-ELMARIT-R ASPH
> f/2.8/35-70mm is very tempting due to its wide range of applications.
> Any advice or comments would be sincerely appreciated!!!
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> - Tomer -
>
> NO ARCHIVE

I'd go with the SUMMICRON, I'm used to it with the M. With SLR's you
usually think of adding another stop for screen brightness and
snap-ablility focuswise. The SUMMICRON is probably a much lighter lens
than the Summilux, the zoom is, of course much heavier and another stop
slower yet. I'd go with the SUMMICRON and never regret it. You'll me
lean and mean like a clean machine.