Subject: Re: [Leica] Question on SUMMILUX-R f/1.4/35mm
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 22:02:28 -0600

>I'm considering a 100mm
>APO-Macro-Elmarit-R f/2.8...Is this lens new?...Any thoughts on its
>relative performance and or applications?

Not new, really. Been around for a while. But it still is probably the
finest lens Leica makes. (Though the new 90 Summicron M APO ASPH seems to
be giving it a run for best lens, check Erwin's web site.) There is NOTHING
to criticize about the 100 Apo Macro, except that it doesn't go down to
1:1. But then, it wouldn't be as good, I'm sure, or it would. With the
matched Elpro, it goes to 1.1:1, I think. I plan to get one, no question,
some day.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients
to plant vines. "
- - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)