Subject: [Leica] Softar Filters
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:20:08 -0800

Hey guys,

I would like to say Happy New Yeat and thanks for much of the information
this past year.  This is a great group and I am glad to be a part of the LUG
family.
I would like to leave you with an idea that can save you a bit.  I always
bought Softars and as we all know they are not cheap.  I found a good and
easy work around.  Get a UV filter in the size you want.  Then get a decent
clear nail polish. Place drops of the same size in lines across the filter
with some spacing.  Then after it dries, turn it around and place drops in
between the drops on the opposite side.  The closer the drops the greater
the effect.  This filter will duplicated a Softar when shot at the wide open
apertures up to about F5.6.  At F8 you start to eliminate the effect.
I know this is not the ideal solution for some that want a genuine Softar,
but it does work and if you are careful about the polish you will be
pleasantly surprised and can save a few hundred bucks.  By the way, if you
mess up, take acetone (mail polish remover) and wipe the filter clean.  It
will not harm it or the coating on even the most expensive filters.
Again, thanks for a year of info and to all a Happy New Year.

Peter K