Subject: Re: [Leica] Softar Filters
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 06:28:14 -0800

Pete Kotsinadelis wrote:

>I would like to leave you with an idea that can save you a bit.  I always
>bought Softars and as we all know they are not cheap.  I found a good and
>easy work around.  Get a UV filter in the size you want.  Then get a decent
>clear nail polish. Place drops of the same size in lines across the filter
>with some spacing.  Then after it dries, turn it around and place drops in
>between the drops on the opposite side.  The closer the drops the greater
>the effect.  This filter will duplicated a Softar when shot at the wide open
>apertures up to about F5.6.  At F8 you start to eliminate the effect.>>>>>>

Hi Pete, Jeeeesh where the heck were you with that great idea last year
when I had to buy a couple softars. :)  That's a good one I'll have to give
it a try, I know wife has some plain nail polish around here some place,

It may not be Leica perfect but who cares if it does the job. The important
thing is it's "Economical!:) With effect.  Thank you very much.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant