Subject: [Leica] was:Apples and Oranges..now time and age!:)
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:37:38 -0800

Bob Figlio wrote:
<<<<<<Of course I have been around for a while as well (:-)  ... about
>50 years of taking pictures [can't believe it sometimes]

Hi Bob,

But don't you feel great? Really?  Would you have wanted to do some boring
in office thing for 50 years?  I know the answer....."not on your life!" :)

Hey there is no life like it! Sure lots of folks make buckets more money,
but even with that money they could never buy the experiences of being with
the ordinary folks, Kings, Queens and Presidents and they'd surely never be
stupid enough to buy their way into some of the wild assignment situations
we've been in at risk of life and limb.

If this is apples and oranges, I guess my life with Leica's has given me a
wonderful life of apples and oranges! As well, I've enjoyed and am
expecting to enjoy the fruits of photography for many years to come. OK 27
more of them at least. :) Hey and then I'll only be 97 what the hell do you
want? :) A 100? :)

Now there's a heck of goal to aim for, 100 and still snapping! :) Anyone
out there know a 100 year old photographers still taking happy snaps?  Look
at the positive side of this, as the population grows older, in a few short
hours we'll all be into next year, the old guys around the seventy mark
still have 30 years to go to make their mark, a great challenge.:)

Imagine saying, " I bought this M6 back in '98 and here we are 30 years
later and it's still working and I've just turned 100! Damn they don't make
'em like they used to!" :)  "What I really want is one of them "Leica
88's!" Shoots holes right through whatever you take pictures of!" :)

I realize a great number of young lads and lasses think I'm crazy, but
that's OK as their turn will come and they'll have a choice .......sit back
and become one of them old sons o bitches shuffling along the street or
have the kick ass attitude,  you are going to be shooting happy snaps at
100! :)

Me? I know where the hell I'm going to be....shooting,  even if I have to
use them thar auto whiz bang everything picture taking machines! :)

It seems appropriate to get a bit silly on a New Year's eve because we all
relate to the changing of time, age or otherwise, old or young. But we all
have the same aim and asperations of being picture takers, hopefully with
leica's,  if that's not the case, so be it!  But photography itself is
really the driving force for each of us. Even when I reach a 100 I intend
to keep myself and driving others onto it!

Think positive! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant