Subject: Re: [Leica] Musings on the role of photography
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 1999 08:52:57 -0600

>don't you see a little bit of hypocrisy when denying that it can
>produce a better image at least technically?

AT LEAST are the key words here. How often do people point out to us the
most obvious thing that keeps coming up. Technical mastery with no vision
is like playing scales on a piano. Technically wonderful, but you won't
hear it in Carnegie Hall. Rubenstein (or whoever used to do this) might
start his piece with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, but it's what he does
with it in themes and variations (or as my violin teacher used to say,
themes and irritations), not the original opening that people applaud. Some
photographers at the twinkle stage think they're Rubenstein.

The "old folks" of photography (sorry Ted, you are a contemporary - some
day) has just as powerful vision as anyone today. They were trailblazers.
And in that sense, they were very lucky. And unlucky.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch