Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The LUG is a family
From: "Mark Hammons" <astair@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:40:44 -0600

>A BMW motorcycle is called a Beemer and a BMW car is called a Bimmer.  This
>is just a long time convention used by those who are enthusiasts of BMW's.
>I think it started with BMW motorcyclists calling their bikes Beemers but
>I'm not sure.  I know one thing, you'd better make sure you get this right
>when you're around BMW motorcycle clubs:-)
>Bud
>>why is one called a 'bimmer' and one a 'beemer'?  kent

I've also heard that the reason that the car is called a BIMMER is
because the BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA) had its beginning in
the great state of Mass.

Can you imagine Ted Kennedy pronouncing the word BEEMER?
It would be much more natural to call it BIMMER!

This may be an urban legend but it may actually be the reason.

Mark Hammons
BMWCCA member #141843

1987 BMW 528e
1990 BMW M3

[  Now all I need is a Leica M3 and I'm set!  ;-)  ]