Subject: [Leica] Please, Post No Photos (long)
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 09:49:13 -0600

At 07:20 AM 02/01/99 -0800, Terry wrote:
>I must disagree with your request. The joy of e-mail, in addition to its
speed
>compared to snail mail, is the ability to send family, friends, and
>acquaintances cartoons and photographs with text. Using Netscape and
>occasionally Internet Explorer and their default mail appelets, it works
>wonderfully well. Since your appelet posts only code, it would appear you are
>not using the aforementioned defaults. Also, I have neither the time to
create
>my own Web page nor the incentive to maintain it. Thus, I continue to
enjoy the
>convenience of e-mail.

Terry,
It is standard etiquette on the LUG to avoid posting binary files.  It
causes problems of the sort Larry described.  Please accept that it is a
problem for some.  If you want to send private email to family and friends
with attachments, go right ahead.  But do not do so on a distributed list
such as this.
   There are a few other conventions which are used on the LUG.  I'll try
to summarize them below for you and for others.

Avoid "me too" or "I agree" posts, which add nothing further to the content
of the message thread.  If someone posts a message that is two or three
screens long, replying with "Me too", followed by the original message is
bad etiquette.  Remember that some people pay for their Internet service by
volume of usage.

Avoid sending messages to the LUG which would better be sent as private
mail.  For example, when someone posts a "For Sale" notice, reply directly
to that individual instead of to the LUG.  Check the To: line in your email
message to make sure it goes to the right place before pressing SEND.

The LUG gets lots of messages.  Send only what others will find worth reading.

Before replying to member's question, check the rest of your messages to
see if someone hasn't already beat you to it with a better reply than you
would have written!  There is some lag time before messages get
distributed, so if there are multiple replies coming in to a question, it
is likely because people have sent off their replies before the replies of
others have arrived.

When including a previous post in your reply, edit the post and include
only the relevant information.  Use [cut] or <snip> to indicate that some
of the original post has been deleted.  Do not repost the entire previous
message along with your reply, unless it is important to keep the original
message as is, for some reason.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the original message from the reply.
Some emailers handle this by including something like:
At 07:20 AM 02/01/99 -0800, Terry wrote: (as at the start of this message).
Make sure that people will be able to tell which is the original message,
and which is the reply.  There is some disagreement about which should go
first, the original message or the reply.  I like to include the original
message first, to provide the context in which the reply is being made, but
others do this differently, and that's OK, as long as one can differentiate
between the original post and the reply.

For those receiving this as in digest form, be careful when replying to a
message to avoid reposting the entire digest. It is bound to embarrass when
it happens to you.

Make sure you use a subject line that describes the content of what is
being posted.  If you receive the digest form of the list, be careful to
change the subject line, otherwise the subject is only indicated as the
digest name and volume number, and is not very helpful when people have to
try to wade through 100 or more new messages.

Configure your email software to avoid sending anything other than plain
text.  Messages are hard to read when they have things like +ACE = in them.

If you are posting a message which is more than one full screen in length,
it is useful to include (long) in the subject.