Subject: [Leica] Re: Chemistry Questions
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 20:24:10 -0600

At 08:01 PM 03/01/99 -0500, Bryant wrote:=20

<excerpt>>>>>

</excerpt>  Seems okay, but expensive.  I've read HC-110 is good, but
have no exposure to it (sorry).=20

<excerpt>My brain is still calibrated to Tri-X.  No, I can't, won't, will
not change.=20

</excerpt>

What I want are liquids I can mix for an evenings processing, and then
toss.=20

<<<<<<<<

Bryant,

I use HC-110 one-shot with Tri-X a lot.  I also use it with Tri-X
Professional (which is a different film, even though it carries the same
Tri-X name.  Very confusing if you shoot medium format, where both films
are available.)  Incidentally, in Photo Techniques last September (the
issue with Erwin's article about the Noctilux) they had a guide to B&W
films and had this to say about Tri-X Professional.  "TXT and HC-110
Dilution B is one of the worst present day film/developer combinations,
yielding harsh gradation and "soot-and-chalk" tonalities."  Hogwash.=20
Well, I suppose they are entitled to their opinion.  I have not found
that to be true with this film/developer combination at all.  In any
event, this will not matter in 35mm, because only Tri-X (not the
Professional one) is available in that format, so go ahead and use
HC-110.

     You can mix enough for one evening's worth of processing.  It is
thick and syrupy, so you have to use a pipette or syringe to measure it.=20
16 mL of the concentrate mixes to a total volume of 500mL with water
(dilution "B", 1:31), which will fill most two reel developing tanks.  At
20C (72F) give it 7.5 minutes, [standard disclaimer: or whatever
adjustments you need to make from this starting point based on your
equipment and technique.]  The results are very nice, with smooth midtone
gradation and a unique look that only Tri-X can produce.  There is no
need to recalibrate your brain to work with anything else.  If you love
the look of Tri-X prints and their smooth characteristic signature, there
is no need to switch, even though you could tweak out slightly finer
grain with a newer TGrain emulsion.  It is all a matter of personal
preference.  Many LUGers here keep old Tri-X as their stand-by, and use
it with passion.  Once you know the film, you can acquire a wonderful
relationship with it.  Since it continues to be a good seller for Kodak,
I only hope that it will not join the ranks of other marvelous "outdated"
films that Kodak has decided to discontinue over the years.

   Kodak recommends mixing up the entire concentrate at once to make up a
stock solution, to obtain the correct proportions with water, because
they claim that mixing small amounts of it can lead to inaccurate
measuring.  I have found that with a 10mL graduated lab pipette I can get
a good working strength mixture, properly mixed, so long as I let the
pipette drain thoroughly before refilling.  Up to 1 mL of the syrup can
cling on the inside of the glass, and take a while to drain out, much the
same as when pouring maple syrup from a bottle.  Note that the
concentrate has very good keeping qualities in a partially used bottle,
and stores much better than the diluted mixtures.

   Someplace on the www in the Leica pages there is a write-up on HC-110,
but I can't seem to locate it to provide you with a reference.  Perhaps
someone else knows where it is.

 _

[o] -GH