Subject: [Leica] HC110 was: Chemistry Questions
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 21:06:19 -0600

Back  when  I did my internship we would use dilution "A" of HC110. We
each  (each  photographer)  would  have  a 4 reel developing tank into
which  we  would  put  32oz  of  the  dilution  "A". We would use this
solution all week. By wed or Thursday we were getting great negatives.
We  would  just  add a little time as the week went along depending on
how the negs were looking.

We  would  drop the film in agitate a little at the start let it sit 3
minutes then onto the fix. I always hated the negs on Monday, but they
got really nice as the week went on.

Also  I was told by one of the the guys who used to cover the old NASA
launches for UPI how they did their film. UPI was always the first out
with  a  photo,  they were even beating AP after AP had the Leaf35 and
UPI  still  was  spinning  prints.  Anyway Bill told me that what they
would  do  was he would stand on the trailer and shoot 3 frames as the
launch  first  happened then strip the camera and toss the film to Sam
on  the  ground.  Sam  would run into the trailer and soup the film in
HC110  "A"  dilution  heated to 110 degrees F for 30 sec into straight
rapid  fix  30 sec then print wet with a print in one minute 30 or so.
They  would  towel  off the print and stick the cpation that Jerry had
written on it and spin it to Washington. Pretty slick. Leave it to the
newsies to abuse film and get the results.

I  know  that  I have developed film in Dektol when in a hurry (30 sec
development  time  with  NO  agatation), but never tried the HC110 hot
trick.

Sunday, Sunday, January 03, 1999, George Huczek wrote:

>   You can mix enough for one evening's worth of processing.  It is
> thick and syrupy, so you have to use a pipette or syringe to measure it.
> 16 mL of the concentrate mixes to a total volume of 500mL with water
> (dilution "B", 1:31), which will fill most two reel developing tanks.  At
> 20C (72F) give it 7.5 minutes, [standard disclaimer: or whatever
> adjustments you need to make from this starting point based on your
> equipment and technique.]  The results are very nice, with smooth midtone
> gradation and a unique look that only Tri-X can produce.

Best regards,
 Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com
mailto:hmcclary@earthlink.net

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.