Subject: Re: [Leica] the new kid on the block and question #1
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:29:56 -0600 (CST)

I agree with Mark, the "skinny" tele-elmarit is an embarrassment
for Leitz, BUT the "fat" version (chrome or black) is at least
MECHANICALLY worthy of the Leitz label....optically, they're
all at least fair....
Have owned EVERY single 90 (elmar sm, bm, elmarit bm, summicron
E48, BOTH tele-elmarits-three of them!, and the current-but-non
asph model (f2)....they're ALL wonderful, but then I really
like 90s (and canon 85 and Nikkor 105-you get the idea)
There is a WIDE variety of 85-90mm lenses to mount on your
Leica, many of them DIRT CHEAP <$275 or so...buy 'em, try 'em,
trade 'em -- won't cost you much since they're easy to sell...
get and keep a 90 M-ring ($60-70) and try them out....I "had"
to have a new Summicron, but it's no better than my 90 elmarit
or 85 1.8 black Canon was.....just had to have that sleek black
thang, ya know.....
Although this wasn't the topic, I recently picked up a 28, 2.8
canon -- last production, black "canon" front, not serenar,
and it is the most FABULOUS 28 I've used.....but I had a
Canon 3.5 and the OLD, (doggy) elmarit ver1 before.....I haven't
tried a new one, can afford it for the little I use a 28, but
after trying the CANON, I don't long for one anymore......
The late Canons are pricy, but hang in there and you'll nab a
deal like I did ($215, plus mount, about $275 total).  I've never
been disappointed in one....
CU LATER<
Walt