Subject: Re: [Leica] Project '99 ? a picture a day!
From: Ron & Beelian Miller <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 22:21:13 -0800

Hi ted et al,

It is a good point that Alan Ball brought up on Mon, 04 Jan 1999
07:24:16 +0100. A couple of questions he posed: what is the reason of
existence of our pictures? And if it should be 'meaningful', what is the
definition of that word agreed upon around here ?

I'd like to say that I took this Project '99 to be a fun thing. I
interpreted the "picture a day" to be any moment in that day that
catches my fancy ... like a visual journal. It's unlikely that
amateur-moi can produce daily images on a seismic, event-breaking, or
show-stopping level!

Maybe we shouldnt be limited by definitions since the term "meaningful"
is very subjective. My picture may not be meaningful to others but can
be a reflection of what my day was like. Or if snow-bound or housebound
for whatever reason, make a picture of what your view is like through a
window (Kertesz did a series on wintery park view). Or what if you
cannot trigger the shutter, have it on remote or have someone do it for
you. Like i said, it can be your personal visual journal! Of course, it
cant hurt if you produce something like the project described below.

BTW does anyone have the scoop on Jim Brandenburg's trials and
tribulations when producing shots for his photog book, "chased by the
light"? There was a NPR interview with him describing his experience.
Can I access any archives on that interview on the net?

The book synopsis from Amazon.com says: Award-winning nature
photographer Jim Brandenberg gave himself a challenge--for 90 days
between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice, he would take only
one photograph each day. This exquisite book is the result of that bold
and immensely personal project as he witnesses the cycle of nature near
his home in the northwoods of Minnesota. 90 color photos.

My 2 cents,
Bee Lian