Subject: Re: [Leica] Flare-prone Summicron ??
From: Rick Floyd <rick_floyd@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:14:46 -0500

Mikiro Mori wrote:

<<I recently traded my 50 mm Summicron M (11819/the previous version)
for
the current chrome version (11816).  The newer one gives apparent flare
(or ghosts) in the upper middle area of the frame in against-the-light
shots.  This occurs even when I use its built-in hood in cloudy weather
and is very annoying. >>

Mikiro:

I have seen some flare show up while using this lens as well.  I noticed
that if the light is very direct and more pinpoint (stage lights,
sunsets), it hardly ever exhibits flare.  However, it the light source
is bright and broad, like coming in from a large window, it will show
alot of "ghosting" or "veiling" flare.  It seems to be worse if it comes
from the upper right or left of the frame compared to the center when
held horizontally.

Best,
Rick