Subject: Re: [Leica] FX39
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:28:28 -0700

JOHN COZ wrote:

> > We were so hopeful about hc110 when it came out as you could use it like
> > Rodinal. But it never panned out. ... I use Rodinal and am
> > hopeful about Xtol despite very scary quirkyness reports on minimum
> > amounts to mix up per roll or something like that.
>
> Can you be a little more specific about HC110 not working out?  Also,
> how would you describe the differences between Rodinal and HC110?
>
> John Coz

We've been talking about chalk and charcoal tonality from I assume B
dilution of HC110 over recent weeks, from this group and elsewhere in my
sphere of reference this has become a consensus. There is a fellow in
this group who loves it. Ansel Adams claims to have used it I think with
Trix X Pro medium format film but that's a mystery as that is a deadly
combination in anyone else's hands as has been noted on this site by
other people as well. Especially in 35mm (tri x). I once heard he used
it a higher dilution's. I've always got streaking at higher dilution's
of HC110 with any film.
An Once of HC110 straight from the bottle to a quart of water makes
dilution b as i recall which turns HC110 into a oneshot liquid developer
like Rodinal. Other then that they have absolutely nothing in common.
That is Rodinals effect at dilution 1/50.
Rodinal gives cool adjacency effects and interesting highlight and
extreme grain effects at 1/100 with perhaps slight speed loss. It works
better with traditional films than with TMax or Delta films but I don't
know that categorically for sure. I use it with tri x, tri x pro 320
(120, 220 or sheet film) or plus x, pan Agfapan 25. I forgot I love it
with TMax 3200 shooting it at 1600; it gives an extreme grain and
sharpness effect. Fuji 1600 shot at 1600 gives less grain which I don't
like and much less sharpness than the Kodak. Fuji 400 gives a sharp
though grainy look that I have forgotten about. Much sharper the the
1600 with about the same grain...and cheeper than TriX. I might bet a 10
roll brick of it again this week and give it another shot.
Rodinal is for people who want to bring the sharpest effect possible out
of a tradition emulsion and don't care about or love grain. Not for
shopping Mall quality with non slow films. HC110 is for people who (if
you can't say something nice...) For sheet film it's no big whoop, it's
fast and convenient, I use it for that, sometimes for Polaroid speed
turnaround results at dilution A. I always figure when the disconnect
you it's time to stop typing
Mark Rabiner.