Subject: [Leica] Students and SL kit
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 8:54:33 -0500

My girlfriend wants to take an introductory photo class this semester
(yahoo!!!) and naturally turned to me for advice on what manual SLR to
get.  Naturally, since I already use an M6, I've decided to remain loyal
to the Red Dot and try to be economical at the same time (no easy task).

I have in mind the Leicaflex SL because it has TTL metering.  I will
also get her a 50mm Summicron-R.  Is this a good idea?  Anyone have any
further suggestions?  Also, how much would such a combination go for?
Of course, if anyone has a set for sale, please let me know!  Thanks!
<<<<<<<<<<<

If you are concerned about economics, you might want to consider what the
price of the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth R
series lenses plus a couple of R-8's are going to set you back just in
case she (or you) really gets hooked........   :  )

You should be able to find a set for around $500 which is probably less
than a new FM2 with a MF 50 unless you buy grey market...... but you can
find  used Pentax K-1000's,  Canon ftb's or Nikkormats for $150 to
$200......

There are number of possible strategies as far as student cameras.  In
the college photography class I teach, students are using only a 50mm and
no meter....   In some ways this is nice as it forces them to make do
with one lens and it forces them to get close to the subject...... On the
other hand it's a horrible length for a lot of subject matter that
students would like to shoot.  Too wide for portraits, action, etc... and
too long for much architecture, scenic and certain reportage
assignments....

But...... on the other hand, students tend to waste too much space the
way it is and a giving those a 28 is the most certain guarantee that
you'll have a hard time identifying the subject.  At the same time,
students with a good eye and ability to analyze the scene can benefit
greatly by having several focal lengths....

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador