Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 M lenses/3 Elmar
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:16:22 -0800

David writes:

> I wonder if there has been discussion on the 90/4 Elmar 3
Element version.
> What is special about it?  What is the advantage of making
it with 3
>elements?  Is it the same as the Parallel Elmar, just
another name?

Hopefully you have received some off list explanation of
this lens that is more authoritative than mine.  According
to Laney's 6th ed. Pocket Book, the three element Elmar was
produced from 1964 to 1968.  The production was 543
screwmount lenses and 5,947 bayonet mount lenses.  The head
can be used on the Visoflex.  The price guide rates the
rarity as R5 (rare) (the screwmount version is listed as R8
(exhibition item).

I have this lens in the bayonet mount.  I keep thinking that
I should sell it since I don't collect.  But, I really like
the lens.  I can shoot directly into the morning sun without
flaring...I use the head on a Bellows II...it has been my
primary portrait lens.  I have used it enough that I can
pretty much predict what is going to happen under different
lighting circumstances.  (I have never had it flare).

Hope this is helpful,
Bill