Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicaflex SL
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 06:59:43 -0500

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, MSwiek@aol.com wrote:

<SNIP>
>Also, there were "early" and "late" versions, with the late version having
>few strengthened parts.  The most obvious is the lens lock release button.
>Early ones had a red plastic one which is prone to breakage.  later ones
have
>a silver metal tab.  Also, the film take-up spool was a light gray/white
>plastic on early ones, in which the take-up slots were proe to breakage.
The
>laterones had a darker, medium gall metal spool which was stronger.
Another
>point is the meter cell, located in the bottom of the mirror box.  Whne
viewed
>with the mirror up (holding down the shutter release with the speed set on
B)
>early meter cells were smooth.  Later ones show ridges.

The most reliable external indicator of "early" or "late" versions is the
meter switch.  On early version bodies the meter switch has a single detent
at the point where the film-advance lever atually starts winding film, at
90 degrees or so from the flush position.  Later production meter switches
have a detent at a position which is only a couple of degrees away from the
flush position in addition to the 90 degrees detent.

My early body (Sherry sez it's a 1968) has the old-style meter switch,
metal lens release tab, and ridged meter cell.  I think all SLs were
originally made with the plastic lens release tab, and the metal one
indicates the original broke and was replaced.  The first SL I bought (new
in 1979) had a new-style meter switch, ridged meter cell  and the red
plastic tab.  (I no longer have that body so I can't give the s/n.)

Doug Herr
Sacramento