Subject: [Leica] Leicaflex SL
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 08:39:32 -0500

On Tue, 05 Jan 1999, Hoyen wrote:

>Hi LUGgers,
>
>My girlfriend wants to take an introductory photo class this semester
>(yahoo!!!) and naturally turned to me for advice on what manual SLR to
>get.  Naturally, since I already use an M6, I've decided to remain loyal
>to the Red Dot and try to be economical at the same time (no easy task).
>I have in mind the Leicaflex SL because it has TTL metering.  I will
>also get her a 50mm Summicron-R.  Is this a good idea?  Anyone have any
>further suggestions?  Also, how much would such a combination go for?
>Of course, if anyone has a set for sale, please let me know!  Thanks!

I'm using two Leicaflex SLs and I wouldn't part with them, but I won't
recommend them as a low-cost camera.  The initial cost may be attractive
but the newest of the SLs was made in 1972 and age-related repairs are more
likely and much more expensive than a newer camera.  The R3 or R4s will be
much more economical when service is considered.  Early R3 bodies had
serious reliability problems but the concensus seems to be that any that
have been used much and are still working should be reliable.  Both the R3
and R4s have manual exposure modes.

Doug Herr
Sacramento