Subject: Re: [Leica] National Portrait Gallery-London
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:28:29 +0000

The permanent part of the National Portrait Gallery is well worth visiting
too, it contains a wealth of photographic portraits in addition to the
paintings. The museum will lend you a portable CD players (for a fee) with
additional information on the exhibits (e.g. interviews with the artists) .
I  found the CD to be quite entertaining too.

Regarding bookshops: the one at the Photographer's Gallery is also quite
outstanding. And the café at the Photographer's Gallery is very good,  it
has a nice non-tourist crowd, serves tea and coffee, salads and simple
meals ( a little bit on the health food side). It is not even five minutes
walk from the National Portrait Gallery. (Cross the street as you come out
of the NPG, turn left and walk up the street into Charing Cross Road. Then
turn right into the Great Newport Street. This is approx. the third street
on the right, provided you do not count the small alleyways. In Great
Newport Street, it is on the left hand side, about fifty meters down the
street.

Photographer's Gallery often has interesting exhibitions. To quote you:
'the entry is 0'.  ----   but there is a collection box......   Life is
short, art is long - but not quite free!  Regards

>Hi all,
>
>I was in London today, and after the business was done, I visited the
>National Portrait Gallery to see the Kobal Photographic Portrait Award
>exhibition. Nice exhibit, and the entry is 0. But what turned out to be
>expensive was visiting the gallery's bookshop--a true paradise for
>photography books! It was fortunate that I got there only 20 minutes
>before closing time, limiting my wallet drain to about 130 pounds...I
>shall return!
>
>Nathan
>
>--
>Nathan Wajsman
>Overijse, Belgium
>
>Photography page:  http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/index.html
>Motorcycle page:
>http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/downs/1704/index.html

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58