Subject: [Leica] RE: Noctilux as a GP lens
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 15:51:36 -0800

At 02:32 PM 1/7/99 -0800, you wrote:

>I hear this remark about the Noctilux occasionally. Just out of curiosity-
>is there anyone reading this who uses a Noctilux who never uses f1.0 and
>typically shoots in the middle apertures?
>
>Joe Berenbaum

The Noctilux is a lens that is purchased for a SPECIFIC reason. To use it
at f/1.0 . To buy it as a general purpose 50mm lens does not make sense,
even if you are Bill Gates. Ever look through an M camera with a Noctilux
attached? It takes up half the viewfinder. I couldn't imagine trying to use
this lens for general purpose photography. It's an f/1.0 lens. You give up
half of your viewfinder to be able to photograph at f/1. Otherwise you get
your viewfinder back with a Summilux or Summicron.

Jim