Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Noctilux as a GP lens
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 01:15:38 +0000

At 03:51 PM 1/7/99 -0800, you wrote:
>At 02:32 PM 1/7/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>
>>I hear this remark about the Noctilux occasionally. Just out of curiosity-
>>is there anyone reading this who uses a Noctilux who never uses f1.0 and
>>typically shoots in the middle apertures?
>>
>>Joe Berenbaum
>
>The Noctilux is a lens that is purchased for a SPECIFIC reason. To use it
>at f/1.0 . To buy it as a general purpose 50mm lens does not make sense,
>even if you are Bill Gates. Ever look through an M camera with a Noctilux
>attached? It takes up half the viewfinder. I couldn't imagine trying to use
>this lens for general purpose photography. It's an f/1.0 lens. You give up
>half of your viewfinder to be able to photograph at f/1. Otherwise you get
>your viewfinder back with a Summilux or Summicron.
>
>Jim

Yes, I know- I was asking a rhetorical question! Maybe I should have put a
smiley in there to signal that I knew the answer already. BTW the Noctilux
is a truly great lens. For anyone who happens to be out there, waiting,
watching the clock and fantasising about the amazingly shallow depth of
field that they will be able get in their pictures in a few days- yes, it
is all true, it will be well worth the wait!

Joe Berenbaum