Subject: Re: [Leica] Japs stole designs: Offensive and disparging
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:22:17 -0800

Joe Stephenson wrote:

<<<<<>Dear fellow LUG users: Re: the subject line  According to the
American Heritage dictionary the word "jap" is "(disparaging and
offensive)." Is this what we want our public utterances to reflect?>>>>>>>

Hi Joe,

My feelings exactly. At one time it was everyday use...because we were in a
war environment and many other terms were used by both sides during the
conflict that are not acceptable by today's standards......And as far as
I'm concerned it has nothing to do with being "PC" (politically correct.)
It's just common courtesy one human being to onother.

It happens to be 50 years later and this type of disparaging and offensive
usage no longer fits our day to day use. No matter what ones feeling are
carried over from 50 years ago. That was then and this now!

And before anyone gets antsy, let me say I did use it a long time a ago,
used it more times than I can remember and it was complimented with words
unfit for the family LUG of today.

Don't forget,  we have many fine Japanese folks on line and many who today
are upstanding Americans, Canadians and other nationalities first....with
Japanese ancestry second.

And for Heavens sake and lets's not pound this into a great big three week
dissertation of non Leica conversation. Thank you.
ted

PS: Just incase anyone thinks I'm big time on  the PC sillieness of today
I'm far from it as most of it is stupid. However there are certain terems
when in this case are used out of context.  If the term were in direct
reference t the war fighting years I can see it being used in an historical
sense. However as used in this situation it doesn't fit!

And yes I lost relatives to the atrocities of the Pacific war and yes I
still harbour "very strong feelings" of those years! Just in case anyone
wants to know!

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant