Subject: Re: [Leica] Japs stole designs: Offensive and disparging
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:07:00 -0800

My .02:

I've made three trips (of two weeks or more each) to Japan in the last 18
months. Of all the places I've ever travelled, I've never found a place so
welcoming to photographers. It is extremely rare that someone doesn't want
their picture taken, in fact, I've shot several hundred rolls all over Japan
and only been asked not to take a picture once.  That was of an
accupuncturist - and I think he was more concerned about not having his huge
wall-mounted chart of accupuncture points photographed than having himself
in the picture.

Wandering the streets of Tokyo or Kyoto is a great opportunity for a street
photographer - even for a bearded caucasian like me who can't disappear into
the Japanese background very well. Also pleasantly absent is any worry that
your camera equipment is going to be stolen. Quite a different feeling than
shooting in parts of some American big cities. It's not unusual to hear
stories about cameras left in restaurants, subway stations or city parks
only to be retrieved hours or even days later by their owners who realized
they'd been left behind.

Bryan