Subject: Re: [Leica] Japs stole designs: Offensive and disparaging: an answer
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 22:58:15 +0100

Well let me put it this way: after WW II the German designs were made
available by Allied occupation forces to anyone without having to pay
royalties. Guess who made best use of them. Yes there were a British
company Reid & Sigrist and an American company Premier Instrument Co. (and
the Russians) who made Leica copies. But that was it (OK, some Italians and
French too, but where are they now). BTW nobody made copies of Contax. But
the Japanese used the situation that arose and built a whole camera
construction industry (but not from scratch - mind you). Technology is
important but so is business acumen. Care to comment Marc?
Raimo
photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen
nyt myös Kameralehden juttuja suomeksi

- ----------
> From: Mikiro Mori <arbos@iname.com>
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Japs stole designs: Offensive and disparging
> Date: 09. tammikuuta 1999 19:56
>
> At 4:40 PM +0100 1/9/99, Joe Stephenson wrote:
> >Dear fellow LUG users: Re: the subject line
> >According to the American Heratige dictionary the word "jap" is
> >"(disparaging and offensive)." Is this what we want our public
utterances to
> >reflect?
>
> Thank you, Joe.
>
> I have waited to see how other LUGgers would respond to the word. It is
by
> no means politically correct.  However, the real problem is that the
> original post was full of ill will toward a specific people or culture.
It