Subject: [Leica] Leica names
From: "Dr James Harper" <DRJH@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 21:21:49 -0000

1. Mark Hammons asked on 5 January, 1999

<If the Noctilux is supposed to be "King of the Night" shouldn't it
be called a "Noctirex"?  :-)>

2. Quite right.  Others have speculated about the correct plural for Leica
names of classical origin. The  answer is Leicaflexi, Nociluctes and
Summiluces . "Hektor"  and "SummarRex"  are said to be named after the
designer's dogs, so I would just add   "s" or "es". If you insist, it would
have to be Summareges. E-mail me for chapter and verse if unconvinced.

3.  Equally interesting is the origin of non-classical names.  ELmar sounds
like something made by Ernst Leitz, but what about all the suffixes like
- -mar, -ar, -it, -on/-ron,   etc. giving Elmaron, Elmarit, Summar, Summarit,
Summaron (only Elmariton and the Good Summariton left now)?  The same
suffixes are everywhere - Tessar, Biogon,   etc.     I have my own amateur
views,  but can the historians point me towards any published material on
this?

4.  Best of all is the Leica code word system.  How did it actually work?
Was it pure chance that produced such  gems as NOOKY HEESUM and PLOOT, or
was some benign force at work?  Lewis Carroll would have revelled in the
Leica code list - what might  have displaced

"'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe."  ?

(Jaberwocky, written in 1855, published in 1872.)

Best wishes to all.

JH