Subject: [Leica] reflecting
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 23:17:39 +0100

Ted is right  in assuming that some threads do not excite me, nor my
brother. I am now working on a booklet to be published soon, that takes
much of my spare time. So my inkling to comment on some topics that pop up
on the Lug has to suppressed severely.
Happily a bottle of fine Armagnac is within reach on my table where my cat
has inched himself between my laptop and some very fat books on you might
guess what topics.
Two threads however I cannot resist commenting upon.
The Noctilux is a great lens and it is unlikely that the wizards from Solms
will improve on this one substantially and within economical constraints
soon. Of course they might be eventually. I always feel dwarfed
(intellectually) after a meeting with these guys and girls.
The Noct is neither a lens exclusively designed to be used at full
aperture, nor a GP lens for all circumstances.  I am always at unease with
strong statements that lack arguments or proof. Stopped down the Noct
performs very well, but the effect of spherical aberration will soften the
fine details and the overall contrast a bit. Still it is way better than as
example the Summarit (stopped down). At full aperture the lens  has amazing
capabilities., which can only be exploited after some acquaintance with its
characteristics. Expecting that at f/1.0 this lens will provide very fine
detail sparklingly rendered at high speed film is an enigmatic act. The
Noct at f/1.0 gives you clear recording of subject outines and flareless
rendition of finely graded textures. That is its unique fingerprint. It is
very usable at smaller apertures (the 1,2/50 noct aspherical is not) and
will fullfill most demands (assuming the ergonomics are aceptable). No it
is not a Summicron at smaller apertures. It is a very fine blend of
excellent full aperture performance and very good stopped down performance
adding some spice here according to its aberration corrections. Please
leave any partisanship here.

On the discussion of B&W developers and films to match I might offer my own
experience. It is very difficult if not impossible to discuss
characteristics relating to sensitometric properties without recourse to
densitometer readings. The eye is very sensible to small differences in
grey tones, but at the same time also very forgiving. In short the eye can
be fooled quite easily.  I have tested almost all combinations of films and
developers on the market (when I was in the Zone system mantra stuff) and I
came to this conclusion:  developers do differ in producing more or less
prominent grain and in acutance effects. As far as gradation goes (the
characteristic curve that is) any developer can be tweaked to produce any
desired curve form and CI value from any film. The characteristic curve of
a film (negative) MUST be matched to the characteristic curve of the print
material to be of any value. And we never should forget the influence of
the print developer, the enlarger etc.

If there is any area where personal experience and taste  are of overriding
importance it would be B&W processing. Of the zillions of combinations of
film/developer/paper/developer 99% will give nearly  identical results. The
trick is to find a combination that suits ones personal style and taste.
For my picture style (optimization of Leica image quality) D100/PanF/APX
25/TechPan and FX39/XTOL and Multigrade IV/Polymax/Multicontrast are
preferred combinations. Print developer is Eukobrom or Acugrade.

I really doubt if any of the hundreds of recipes being circulated can beat
any of these combinations.
The upshot is this: trying to find the ultimate is searching for the holy
grail: fine adventure stories but without tangible result. Stick to a
proven combination and start an intimate relationship with it. It will
benefit your photography.

There is is simple rule: when results are nearly identical you must
differentiate yourself (as a product) to be sellable. From the 50 or more
filmdevelopers on the market I would say only five really give results that
stand out from the rest. If ever the substitution without effect rule works
it is in B&W chemistry.
Film chemistry is a science that has converged to an temporarily optimum
now. Use it well.

Erwin