Subject: [Leica] Doisneau pictures
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:52:24 +0100

After being drowned in scotch, being educated on the interpretations of the
first amendment, being lectured on what is politically correct and why  a
great people in the far east took advantage of the offering of a great
people in the west to use the knowledge of an equally great people in
central Europe, being informed that the holocaust is a not to be forgiven
nor forgotten, that HC110 is still (surprisingly) being used and that
someone really assumes that a 10 second shorter or longer development -time
could ruin his negatives, I am now wondering where the Lug is heading. Of
course, as Ted habitually and kindly reminds us, we are all a big family
and so we are entitled to our stray discussions. My brother  (Erwin you
know) is reworking his explanatory skills, as some Luggers noted that his
technical remarks  are too obtruse to be understandable.
So as an antidote I forced him to take pictures with all lenses he bought,
being a victim of his own assessments of Leica lenses.  So he is now in the
city,  accompanied by a model, looking for locations that are dark enough
to use his Noctilux. So for this moment I take over from him.
.
In the meantime I reread a book about French photographer 'Doisneau', who
used Rolleis and Leicas and Linhofs for a variety of work from the thirties
to the nineties. His remarks on technique are very enlightening and should
be memorized by anyone who uses or aspires to use a Leica. His pictures are
timeless and stunning. I presume it is far more difficult to emulate a
vision than to try to find the best developer/film combo (the holy grail is
easier to find). Still the future of Leica photography can only be secured
when we start taking pictures that have profound meaning and expressive
power using our Leica qualities to enhance our message and carve it out in
emulsion as no one else could. Maybe those luggers who can gently guide  us
to higher realms of creativity will stand up and start a thread about the
meaning of Leica photography as defined by HCB and Doisneau and Salgado
etc.

Of course we need technical support and of course a historical perspective
is nice and sure it is fun to discuss the myriad of equipment details, but
our mission is to take pictures. That is the fun of buying a Leica: use it.
And forget for a while about what film is best or what developer we should
use. As Doisneau has it: standardize and standardize on technique and hone
your vision.

Hubert Puts

BTW (to spare a dime I use my brothers address).