Subject: Re: [Leica] Freedom of speech and political correctness (off topic)
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 09:19:02 -0800

Walter,

Permit me a few corrections:

Any discussion of the First Amendment must first stress that it, like the
rest of the Bill of Rights, limits 'government' action (federal, state and
local), but not necessarily private action - such as the actions of a
private employer. There are often avenues of redress available against
private entities, but they are not directly based on the Bill or Rights.

"Speech that provokes an
immediate danger to others (such as advocating violence or a riot)
is not guaranteed.  As many have stated before, yelling "fire" in
a crowded building is NOT free speech, as other may be immediately
injured by the chaos that results from such action.  Other than
such irresponsible actions, tho, freedom of speech/expression is
pretty much guaranteed."

This is not entirely true. There are many other areas which receive lesser
First Amendment protection or no protection at all. For instance, commercial
speech (that which proposes a commercial transaction) has been afforded a
lesser degree of First Amendment protection by the U.S. Supreme Court than,
say, political or religious speech. Obscenity receives a lesser protection
as does child pornography. Then, of course, there are the matters of slander
and libel - where First Amendment protections have wide application, but are
not absolute.

The generally accepted test for regulating speech which inspires lawless or
dangerous activity is that the speech must (1) be directed to inciting or
producing imminent lawless action; and (2) it is likely to incite or produce
such action.

And remember, even protected speech can often be subject to reasonable time,
place and manner restrictions.

"Add to this fiasco the fact that trial attorneys in our country
are anxious to take on lawsuits anytime there is money to be made,
and you have a very dangerous situation.  "

Yes, I am an attorney (in addition to being a long-time Leica user). I'm
used to the slurs that are often directed at my profession (although I
practice criminal law exclusively and have never ventured into the civil
arena). But often these insults are based on plain misinformation. First
Amendment litigation is probably the LEAST economically productive form of
work for a lawyer that I can think of.

Yes, lawyers are eager to take on what for them could be a profitable job.
Just like contractors, insurance agents, engineers, consultants,
programmers, etc. But what seems to generate the hostility are contingency
fee cases. When is the last time that a doctor offered to foot the bill for
your treatment and only charge you or your insurance company if you were
cured?

Sorry if I've gone on too long. I have pretty thick skin, but every so often
I have to vent.

First Amendment protections are very complicated and should be of great
concern to anyone - let alone photographers.