Subject: Re: [Leica] Dropped my M6!
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 11:27:35 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> I dropped my M6 last night. Or should I say my coat pulled it off a table

My usual trick is to set down the camera on table with sync cord
attached and then either I or assistant or client snags it and pulls
camera onto (always) concrete factory floor.  I guess that is an
argument for a radio slave.  But I'm old fashioned and haven't budgeted
$1000 for multiple recievers and transmitters.

One safety trick is to only set camera on floor.  This is a trick I
learned a couple lifetimes ago when I appreticed to a floor covering
master (carpet, linoleum, hardwood).  We only set tools on the floor,
therefore we only had to look on the floor to find things.  I use the
same habbits (usually) on location jobs.  Things only go on the floor,
usually around the cases.  Training assistants is another challenge!
But when I follow this practice, I don't end up the next day in another
town wondering where some vital piece of equipment is I need
immediately.

Twice I've had the slow motion experience of watching $1500 monoblock
lights at the top of 13 foot stands get snagged by someone and crash
onto concrete floors.  Tickets to such adventures are about $300-400 and
some time juggling lighting schemes to adjust to not having the light,
because this only happens when you need absolutely every light you own.

Sorry about the lens, Eric.

donal
- --
Donal Philby